Support an HIV/AIDS Program in India
- Program:Volunteer in India
- Projects:Support in HIV/AIDS Program in India
- Start Dates:1st and 3rd Mondays of each month
- Location: Delhi and Jaipur
- Departure and End Point: New Delhi, India (Indira Gandhi International Airport)
- Language Need:none
- Accommodation and meals:host family and Indian meals three times daily
- Activities: Various, as needed.
- Working Hours:25-35 hours per week
Overview of the Project
In India, there is a serious stigma attached to those infected with HIV/AIDS. People are still ignorant about HIV/AIDS and many impoverished people in India lack education on the causes of AIDS and its transmission. People who become infected are often excluded from their own family's homes and from society. In Delhi and Jaipur, many organizations are working to improve HIV/AIDS awareness, education and provide care to those infected. The goal of these groups' activities is to foster awareness of the disease and work to change attitudes and behavior towards those unfortunate enough to be infected.
Role of Volunteer
These organizations/clinics are involved in many worthwhile activities:
- Blood testing
- Counseling HIV-positive people and their families
- Treatment for HIV-positive patients
- Promoting HIV/AIDS awareness
- Some vocational program for the patients
Volunteers in this project will work with local groups and will be responsible for a variety of tasks:
- Improve awareness activities to truck drivers, women and children
- Demonstrate use of contraceptives, condoms, etc
- Counseling activities
- Training activities
- Rendering help in treatment (volunteers with a medical/healthcare background only)
- Prepare and present educational programs
- Operational assistance as requested by local organizations; report writing, date collection, etc.
There are no specific skills or qualifications required for this project beyond a general understanding of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and empathy for those infected. Experience with social and medical outreach is considered a plus but not mandatory.
Your understanding of Indian culture and Hindi language can be strengthened by enrolling in the one-week Language & Cultural Immersion program. The knowledge in this program will help you immensely when interacting with patients and their families
Volunteer in India: Project Locations and Free Time Options
Our India volunteer projects take place in and around Delhi and Jaipur, which are incredibly colorful, thriving and bustling cities steeped in history and cultural opportunities.
As a historical capital city of India, Delhi contains major Indian tourist attractions the like Red Fort, Lotus Temple, Qutab Minar, Lodhi Gardens, etc. Delhi contains a diverse assortment of local markets, restaurants, internet cafés, nightclubs, shopping centers and cultural heritage sites to experience. There are numerous chances for volunteers to explore Delhi with their free time and options abound. Taxis/auto rickshaws are affordable transportation options and tours can be arranged to Agra and Jaipur as well as other rural locations.
Renowned as the Pink City of India, the royal capital of Rajasthan, Jaipur was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh in 1727 AD. The ancient forts and palaces attract thousands of travelers from all over India and the world. While in Rajasthan, you can go for a camel ride and a jeep safari to explore the unending stretches of the Thar Desert. In Jaipur, our volunteer project is located 20 miles north of Jaipur in a small and vibrant village. Volunteers can explore beautiful villages, visit local bazaars, meet friendly people and discover amazing landscaping of Rajasthan village.