paid teaching chinaThe beautiful country of China is a great place to explore, teach, and learn. Since 2003 we have placed hundreds of teachers on Paid English Teaching programs there. Teaching English in China can be the first step to an amazing international experience for you. Have the adventure of a lifetime by teaching English in China and get paid to do it.

Global Crossroad English teaching program in China is a great way to explore this ancient and intriguing land while teaching English to eager school- and college-age students. You will have the rare and worthwhile opportunity to be compensated for your teaching service as you immerse yourself in Chinese culture, travel the world, and grow personally and professionally.

Besides being a native English-speaking citizen of the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland or other English-speaking countries, there are no specific qualifications or skills needed to teach in China. Our partner schools offer decent salaries, free accommodation, and even airfare reimbursement for long-term, contracted teachers. Immerse yourself in Chinese culture while earning a salary, learning the language, teaching English and making new friends!

Salary and Benefits

We have been placing teachers in China since 2003. The salary and benefits in China vary depending on your qualifications, experiences, location, and others. However, in collaboration with local schools, colleges, and universities, we offer you an excellent salary and benefit packages.

  • Monthly salary of 6,000-9,000 RMB for a native English speaker (no qualifications)
  • Monthly salary of 9,000-12,000 RMB for a native English speaker with a degree in English and some related teaching experience
  • Free shared furnished apartment near your school, some schools provide single but not all schools
  • Assistance with Business visa application process
  • Services and support of field staff
  • Guaranteed placement
  • Airport pick-up upon arrival
  • Reimbursement of airfare = 6000 RMB on completion of 12 months teaching contract 3000 RMB on completion of 6 months.


  • Volunteers are required to send their Resume/CV alsong and a short 2-5 minutes introduction video explaining why you would like to join our Paid Teaching Program in China.
  • Volunteers are required to have a minimum 60 hours TEFL Certification. The TEFL certification can be online or regular. Volunteers do not need TEFL experience in classroom.Volunteer for more than 1 month need TEFL qualification.
  • Passport holders of English-speaking countries such as: USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia
  • Age 18 - 60 (below the legal retirement age in all cities)
  • Volunteers must be a native English speaker or be fluent in English with clear accent.
  • Good health (must pass a health examination)
  • No criminal record

How to Apply

paid teaching in china program To apply to the paid teaching program in China, simply fill out the form: , simply fill out the form

China Paid Teaching Program - Fee and Dates

The China volunteer teaching program starts anytime upon your arrival in China.

China Paid Teaching Program is not available in January and 1st to 7th October, 2020.

Global Crossroad application and placement fee is US $399. The fee covers advertising, program promotion, and office expenses (rent, utilities, and staff salaries in our USA office). The fee also covers airport pick-up, drop-off, China office expenses (rent, utilities, salaries, and vehicle), communication, and project coordination. There is no monthly or weekly fee for the Paid English Teaching program in China.

Selection and Visa Processing

Once we get your valid application, it will be passed to our China office immediately for further processing. Chinese schools have some expectations or requirements when it comes to teachers; therefore, we screen all applicants to make sure that they meet the needs of the schools. We may also set up Skype interviews as part of the selection if necessary. You will receive an acceptance letter from our China-based coordinator within seven to 21 days of applying. If we cannot offer you a placement we will refund your application fee immediately. If you are accepted, someone from our China office will contact you to discuss the documents required to secure a visa that allows you to work. We take care of arranging the visa for you.

Jessica Mills

It was all worth it. I treasured the intimate moments travelling and experiencing together

Jessica Mills


Roberta Quis

I was not ready to leave when my two months were up. It was an unforgettable experience.

Roberta Quis

- Australia

Kenneth Janes

This was an amazing trip. I was immersed in new experiences, cultures, languages and people.

Kenneth Janes

- Canada

Lindsay Scott

This experience was both exceptional and valuable. Project was extremely enlightening.

Lindsay Scott

- Germany

Please read more reviews of our volunteers' on

Major FAQ

Do I need to speak Mandarin?

No, speaking Mandarin is not a requirement to teach in China. In primary school classes, you will usually have a Mandarin-speaking assistant to help you. Nonetheless, attempting to learn the language will make your life a lot easier and more rewarding.

Can I apply with a friend?

Yes. We give applicants the chance to apply with a friend or a partner and we will endeavor to place you in the same city and school.

Will I need a police check?

You will need to obtain a police check from your home country before you can begin your placement. This is a requirement for schools to issue a visa.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes, you must have travel insurance to teach in China. You can arrange your own insurance.

Who pays for my flight?

Initially, you will need to pay for your flight to China; however, this will be reimbursed by your school upon completion of your contract. Reimbursement of airfare = 6000 RMB on completion of 12 months teaching contract 3000 RMB on completion of 6 months.

How safe is China?

China is generally a safe country and you will likely be welcomed by locals, who are generally very friendly towards foreigners. You should of course always take precautions, particularly in big cities where pick-pocketing is common. You will be assigned a contact person in China, independent from the school, who can help you with any other emergencies during your placement.

Will I need a Chinese bank account?

You will need to open a Chinese bank account, as this is where your salary will be transferred. When you arrive at your school, an English-speaking colleague will take you to the bank that the school uses to help you open an account. This is quite a simple process and you will walk out with your new bank card and be able to use it right away.

Will I have to work weekends?

If you work in a state school, your regular working days will be Monday to Friday, whereas in private schools, you could be working from Wednesday to Sunday. Whichever school type you choose, you will have two days off per week. There are occasions when everyone in China is expected to work the odd weekend following a national holiday, but this is not very frequent, and you will be forewarned.

Will I get the chance to travel?

No matter in which school type you work, public or private, you will have opportunities to travel. Those who work in state schools will have more free time to do so.

How will I get to headquarters from the airport?

Please send your flight information to Global Crossroad in advance. One of our staff members, or a staff from your school placement, will be waiting for you at the airport terminal. They will be holding a sign with your name. In the event of a problem with meeting our representative, or the school staff member, please go directly to your contact hotel. Hotel information will be provided in your pre-departure package.