Frequently asked questions - South Africa
Application Process/ Visa
- When should I apply for a volunteer/internship assignment in South Africa?
- What happens once I submit my documents and application to Global Crossroad?
- How long does it take to process my application to volunteer in South Africa?
- What documents do I need to submit with my application for volunteering in South Africa?
- Are there any necessary requirements to participate in the South Africa based volunteer programs?
- Who manages the volunteer projects in South Africa?
- What are the daily schedules of the projects?
- Where are the projects located?
- What is the language spoken in South Africa?
- When are the South Africa based assignments available?
- How long can I volunteer in South Africa?
Arrival and Departure Information
- Who will arrange my flight to South Africa?
- At which airport should I arrive?
- If my assignment begins on Monday, when should I arrive in South Africa?
- Will someone pick me from the airport?
- If so, how will I know who they are and where they are?
- What should I do if my flight is delayed?
- How can I get to my accommodations from the airport, if I did not connect with Global Crossroad's local representative in the airport?
- What do I need prior to departure from my home country?
- If I want to arrive earlier than when my assignment begins, where do I stay and who will organize the accommodations?
- When should I depart from South Africa?
- From which airport shall I depart?
- Who will bring me to the airport for my departure?
Living Accomodation / Meal Information
- Who will arrange my accommodations and what are they?
- Are single rooms available?
- If I arrive with my friend, or girlfriend/boyfriend, can we stay together?
- Will there be other foreign volunteers/interns at my placement?
- What are the bathroom facilities like?
- What are the laundry arrangements?
- Can I use appliances if I bring them from my home country?
- Who manages my meals?
- Can you accommodate special diets?
- Is the running tap water safe for drink?
- Are there hot and cold-water facilities available?
- Will bottled water be provided?
Health and Safety
- How safe is South Africa?
- What are the principle health risks in South Africa?
- Is the food safe if I buy it from a street vendor?
- What are the sanitary conditions in South Africa?
- Are ATMs easily available?
- If yes, which debit and credit cards are accepted?
- What is the local currency and how do I know the exchange rate?
- Where should I exchange my money?
- How much money should I bring with me?
- Is it safe to carry cash with me?
- How do I contact with Global Crossroad's local coordinator?
- How do I contact my family and friends once I arrive in South Africa?
- How can my family members contact me?
- Can I bring my telephone from my home country?
Culture and Custom
- Is there a special dress code that I should follow while staying in South Africa?
- What should I know about religious conduct in South Africa?
- How do I respect the people of South Africa?
More Information about South Africa
NOTE: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) is generic information and should not be used as a definitive travel guide. Travel information and situations abroad change constantly. Participants should consult Global Crossroad or travel advisors to verify this information.